Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

My Coffee Table: Before and After

My husband, John, and I love to restore furniture. We're just getting into it, and while it's not at all easy- it's incredibly rewarding. And we love the process! We'd much rather be out in the garage, sanding and painting furniture than we would be inside watching tv. It's something we enjoy doing together, and we're just getting started!

We haven't had a coffee table since we've gotten married. We were borrowing my parents' glass coffee table (which was great! Thanks mom and dad!), and were quite thankful to haul it away and replace it with something more our style.

I found this on craigslist, and ending up buying it and a matching end table for $35. This is the best "Before" shot I have.

For those of you who are not aware, stripping paint SUCKS.
Stripped and sanded.

Primed (you should, by the way, always do your own research. Don't listen to the Home Depot lady...)

Adding  tile grout to black paint for my chalkboard top.
Always test it...

Painted the top (chalkboard part) first, then the rest a simple flat black.
Remember that corner that our dog chewed off? John did a pretty good job remolding it into a decent looking corner.

Ta da! Black paint, black chalkboard paint, and some new hardware.


All in all I'm pretty pleased. Lessons learned: Spray on your paint, don't use acrylic primer, and chalkboard paint is quite finicky to work with, so add some water to thin it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment