Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Treats

I love to spoil my dog. And she knows it. I tackle something new to bake just about every weekend, and this weekend I decided to turn my attention to my dog, Dasha. These treats are super simple to make, and I didn't have to buy a thing- just used staple items around the house. I love building the hype for the treats- getting her excited about what's on the counter and feeding her bits of "cookie" dough. The best part about it? I know exactly what's going into her *often sensitive* tummy. 


Originally found this recipe in a local pet directory which I modified a bit (mostly because I live at 7,000 feet).




Ingredients:
4 tbsp blackstrap molasses
1/2 cup natural unsalted peanut butter (though I improvised with regular pb- it's fine for dogs)
1-1/4 cup water
1 tbsp oil (this is less than the original recipe called for- I didn't see it as necessary)
2 cups whole wheat flour
1-1/2 cups rolled oats


- Preheat over to 350.
- In a large bowl, blend together molasses, peanut butter, water, and oil.
- Add whole wheat flour and oats to wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Drop tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet (these cookies do not expand, so put as many on one sheet as you'd like!). Gently flatten cookies with a cup bottom.
- Bake 20 minutes or until done. 






I store the treats in a tupperware container, and anytime Dasha's being a good girl, I ask- "Want a cookie?" She now knows the word "cookie" quite well.


Did you try one? you may ask. As tempting as it was, I have not. It's the just idea of it being for the dog...




No comments:

Post a Comment